48 pax entered the urban gloom and posted at the Church Street parking deck to celebrate the 7th anniversary of @F3Greensboro at @F3UpTownFunk – #Natville’s first Friday AO and the place the #TheKirk was debuted.
Short mosey to Elon parking lot for the Mission, a few reminders re:: the Core Principles, and a bit of #Natville history, then a quick warm up of:
- SSH x 15
- Arm circles x10F, x10 R
- IWs x15
Mosey up the stairs to top of Church Street parking deck to begin #Natville’s adaptation of a routine known far and wide in F3 Nation as #TheKirk…named for the Metro Q who conceived this devious #downpainment.
AMRAP sets of the following:
- Burpees x 5
- Merkins x10
- Alt Shoulder Taps x15
- Goblet Squats x20
- Peoples Chair Air Claps x25
- Run down the deck to street level
- 20 LBCs
- 20 Low slow flutters
- 20 American Hammers
- Back up the stairs – Rinse & repeat
As pax completed their work and the 6 was gathered, transition to Plank, then mosey back to the #shovelflag for count-a-rama, name-a-rama and COT.
COT: YHC took us out.
- #Tclaps to Butt Fumble for conceiving the 7th Anniversary Celebration week. This has been a much-needed motivator for YHC.
- #Tclaps to Snowflake for the invite to lead this morning. It was an honor. #Tclaps to Simone for letting me crash the Friday Funktivities.
- For every man that posted this morning, YHC appreciates you being there. #Tclaps for making the COT safe place for us all.
- From Stinky Cheese… Blood Drive – 1/22/2022 – Go ahead and get this one on your calendar.
- Natty’s Hump
- Sat., 10/10 – 7am launch
- Jaycee Park
*** CRS WEINKE BONUS TRACKS ***
Good morning. Welcome to Uptown Funk. I’m Kilowatt, I’ve got the Q this morning, and I’ll do the best I can for you. Thank you to Snowflake for the invitation to be here. It’s an honor.
Yep. Had to break out the Weinke for this one. CRS. It seems to happens when you get North of 50. If you don’t know what that is, don’t worry about it. But you won’t find it in the lexicon.
This is F3.
Our mission is to plant, grow and serve small workout groups for men for the invigoration of male community leadership.
A few reminders (5 Core Principles)
- We’ll be outside today. If you’re prone to chafing, I’ve got Gold Bond and moisturizer in the truck.
- I’m not going to charge you for this – If I did, chances are you’d be asking for a refund when it’s over.
- Also, I have not been trained. I’m no better than any other man here.
- We’ll wrap this thing up with a COT.
- And, THIS – is open to ALL men.
- Our first workout at this AO was actually on a Monday – December 8, 2014.
- The funk didn’t arrive until March 3, 2015. It was then – under Quicken’s leadership – Uptown Funk came to be and this AO got an edge to it real fast.
- 3 mos to settle in here. Seems a little crazy, but’s what’s really behind that is just how careful & cautious we were in the beginning.
- Sure some things happened quickly and organically, but a lot of what happened was done with intent and a good bit of deliberation.
- I remember looking at aerial images, trying to determine the best location for our next AO. I studied expansion models. Should we be looking at directional growth or concentric growth?
- A lot of hand wringing over what today would seem to be minor – even insignificant things:
- It was a big step to leave Jaycee Park. Lindely or Latham? It ended up being the Grinder at Latham.
- I think we should we have a running workout? Who’s gonna come to that? #Tclaps Nancy for taking the reins on the Stampede.
- Two workouts on the same day? At the same time? Are we ready for that? #Tclaps to Gunny & Amphibious for making Slammin Sammy happen.
- Do we really need this spreadsheet roster thing? Seems like a good idea to me, let’s keep it going for a while and see what happens.
- We fretted over these things quite simply because we cared and we wanted to get it right. That all there was to it.
- And now — look at how this thing – F3 Greensboro – has grown. AOs across the county, Expansion into Burlington & Randolph, continuing 2nd F opportunities, on-going 3rd F opportunities.
- Importantly, stop and think for a minute about the number of lives you’ve touched, the number of lives that have been changed.
- For that, I can only say THANK YOU.
- For every Nantan, every Weaselshaker, every 2nd F Q, every 3rd F Q, every Site Q, every board member for every man who’s ever led a workout, every man who’s organized a service project or a Completely Stupid and Utterly Pointless activity, maybe you pulled a few pax together for lunch on Friday, offered an encouraging work to a brother, or maybe you’ve only posted to a few workouts.
- Thank you. Thank you for your service to each other and to this community.
Instruction re: The Thang
- Our workout today is an adaptation of one of my favorites – The Kirk.
- But first, a bit of instruction
- The pace of this workout will be on your own.
- Remember – you get out of this what you put into it.
- From here we’ll, mosey up Stairwell
- Perform a series of exercises at top (placards are posted)
- Run down the deck
- Perform series of Mary exercises at the bottom (placards are posted)
- Back up the stairwell
- Rinse & repeat until out of time
- *** IMPORTANT *** Return here for COT at 6:05 – Please keep an eye on your watch.
- We’ll get spread out – but know that the 6 is out there somewhere.
- Let’s make sure we push hard and encourage each other.
After return to shovel flag…
(YHCs notes – What’s written below was the original plan. This was the easy out for me. I had struggled for 3+ days trying to decide what to do. I changed my mind no less than 3 times, and ended up with a game time #Omaha. Sometimes it seems the decision gets made for you. And, the easy way out isn’t what you – or maybe someone else – needs. #DRP.)
Over the past few weeks as I’ve worked to get re-engaged, I’ve met a number of good men. 50cc, EggPlant, Renaissance, Apollo, and I’ve got to recognize THE King. I also had the opportunity to be introduced to Oil Slick by Houlihan. Somewhere in conversation with him, I recall hearing something along the lines of “you’ve got a heck of an organization.” My initial thought – on the inside – was Hold Up. But, I tried to explain… This doesn’t belong to me. We simply tried to plant a seed, nurture it, get it pointed in the right direction, then we kinda handed it off. This isn’t mine.
In the days since that conversation with Oil Slick I found some quite spaces and had time to unpack things a bit. Looking back here’s what I think I can see a bit more clearly. In the beginning, we did fret over the small things. But, we did it because we cared deeply about getting it right. We wanted this to succeed. We wanted to set the right example. But the time came to give it away. For me that meant stepping back into the shadows. And, this is what I saw from there. I saw there were men ready to step up. Good men. And whether it’s entirely true or not – I believe these men had grown. I’m not talking about just physically stronger. It’s hard to find a single work to describe exactly what I believe happened. Maybe they had become more confident, more sure of themselves, less inhibited, unrestrained, unshackled, freed. Freed to Lead.
And, there it was. Clear as day. Only apparent some 7+ years later.
Which takes us right back to where we started this morning.
Right back to the Mission.