Date: Friday, June 18, 2021
AO: Uptown Funk
Time: 0530 – 0615
Weather: 61°F, 67% R.H., clear
PAX (30): Norwood, Si, Wojo (RESPECT!), Katniss, Icarus, Scooby Doo (RESPECT!), Phoenix, Gilligan (RESPECT!), Xerox (RESPECT!), Newhart, Rameses, Pacer (RESPECT!), Defib, Silicone, Cecil, Nails (RESPECT!), Tiger, Explosion, Settlement, Ricardo, Earhart, JR, Drizzle (RESPECT!), Mahler, Huggies, Picabo, Drifter, Simone, Saban, Audio Adrenaline
Disclaimer: YHC is not a professional writer and will not do this epic edition of The Premier Friday AO any justice in his depiction. This recap is merely a suggestion of the assault that took place on all 5 senses in the gloom that fateful Friday. Modify as necessary.
The day started at 0500 with a group of PAX meeting to unload Audio Adrenaline’s car at the Church Street Deck. The PAX would not be deterred by the chain blocking vehicular entry to the parking deck’s top floor electing for an EC coupon carry up the stairs. Once all equipment was unloaded, Norwood assigned the film crew their duties and reviewed The Thang modifying as necessary to provide the best possible shots for the cameras. With the beatdown hour close at hand, YHC descended the ramp to meet the PAX assembled in the Discovery Center parking lot. No FNGs were present, though there was an attempt at FNG chicanery by a nonregular Funk poster (suspected Fringer). After reviewing the pillars of F3 and making a disclaimer about what to do if the po-po arrive, we moseyed into the gloom taking the long route down Lindsay to LeBauer Park for…
- SSH x15 IC
- Sun Gods x 10 IC >
- Moroccan Nightclubs x10 IC >
- Chinooks x10 IC >
- Reverse Sun Gods x10 IC
- Abe Vigodas x15 IC
- String Rippers x15 IC
- Steve Earles x10 IC *a Copperhead Squat with a Hillbilly on the end. YHC wanted to prove that he could conquer the challenge of counting this five-move exercise, which nearly wrecked his VQ. It was better, but all should heed Mr. Earle’s lyrical warning: “you better stay away”.
We then moseyed to the Church Street deck stopping before the chain for an explanation of…
PAX were numbered off by four. Each group was launched in waves moseying from the chain, up the deck, around the drums, and back down to the chain. As soon as the PAX began their lap, Audio Adrenaline let it rip on the skins harnessing his inner Neil Peart.
After returning to the chain, the groups were sent to four stations for a four-man grinder. All stations were AMRAP except 1. The stations looked like this…
- Station 1: Close (but not too close) to the drums
- Breakdancer Merkins x10
- Run to 2
- Station 2: Top of the ramp
- Dirty Hookups
- Ranger Merkins
- Up Down Merkins (think up downs at football practice with merkins at the bottom)
- Mike Tysons
- Run backwards down ramp to 3:
- Imperial Squat Walkers
- Johnny Dramas (curb calf raises)
- Wojo Squats
- Bearcrawl under the chain to 4:
- Pickle Pushers
- Monkey Humpers
- Parker Peters
- Shoulder Taps
- Run up stairwell and around the drum set to 1.
After 2-3 rounds of each station, we were short on time…
We Indian ran back to the shovel flag for…
- E2K x10 both legs
- American Hammer x15
COT / Announcements
- Juneteenth ruck tomorrow at the time of the workout.
- Defib has a sizable litter of golden retriever puppies if any PAX are interested in purchasing.
- Wojo is leading a study of Freed to Lead at Super Starbucks after the beatdown (and subsequent Fridays).
- YHC took us out.
- Norwood for dreaming up this whole concept and for his beatdown suggestions to get the perfect shots. Can’t wait to see the finished product!
- Audio Adrenaline for his sick drum solo. No need for overdubs there.
- Si for the drone shots.
- Earhart, Simone, and Drizzle for the camera work and EC drum carry.
- Xerox for the always welcome mumble chatter. Yes, I practiced those Steve Earle’s.
- The local residents for not calling the police or the Greensboro Police Department for ignoring said noise complaints.
It was an honor to Q The Funk for this memorable event.